Sunday, May 15, 2011

Westlake Village, CA: The First of A Thousand Tears



On the morning of May 15th Jon Krawczyk presented his cross to the congregation at St. Maximilian Church in Malibu.

I wished I could have been there.

“It was pretty cool at first,” Jon said. “But when I started telling people what it was, talking about the original cross and St. Peter’s Church and all, people just started getting all teary-eyed.”

“At the end one woman came up to me, told me she just moved to Los Angeles from New York. She lost something like twenty-five friends on 9-11.”

Jon continued, explaining how this woman couldn’t even speak she was so choked up with sadness, heartache, gratitude, maybe all three; maybe more emotion than he could perceive or define, all brought to the surface by this thing he made.

“It was unbelievable, Kevin,” he said, a glaze of emotion rising up in his own eyes.

I’d seen over the years that Jon could get emotional. But those moments were few and far between, involving things that hit hard and deep; things that truly challenge one’s ability to understand, and to forgive. When you saw emotion in Jon, you knew it was real.

“This trip. I mean, if this is how people are going to react… I don’t know…”

I didn't know either. But any doubts about whether I should have left my family for this were now gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment