Friday, April 5, 2019

It Was Supposed Be a Simple Road Trip


“I’m delivering this sculpture to New York,” Jon told me over the phone. “It would be cool to have some company. You want to come along for the ride?”

“Drive one of your hunks of metal clear across the country? Sounds intriguing. When?”

“Next month it looks like. You up for it?”

He made it sound so simple. And on the surface it was. All I needed was for my wife to agree to hang out at my mom’s for the four or five days I’d be gone.

“It might be a week,” Jon said. “Maybe a little more, if we decide to stop and visit a couple of people along the way. Or you know, swing by Chaco Canyon.”


A month later Jon and I hit the road, pretty much expecting what any two guys would expect from a cross-country road trip in a pickup with a fourteen-foot cross on the back.

What happened on that trip was nothing either of us could have ever anticipated.

What happened on that trip destroyed what I thought I knew about home.


-----------------------------------------
Putting the Pieces Together is the true account of the journey Jon Krawczyk and I made in 2011, bringing his memorial cross from Los Angeles to New York.

It was supposed to be just a road trip. It became the story of America's soul.

In this blog are excerpts taken from Parts One & Two: our pre-journey days in Los Angeles and our two weeks crossing America. The culmination of the story - the month we spent meeting people of all walks of life in and around New York - is laid out in unvarnished detail in Part Three.

Grab a copy for yourself, and another for someone you know who was and may still be affected by the terrible events of September 11, 2001. A part of the proceeds will go to help the firemen and first responders still suffering from the effects of that day.

From Jon and me - Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment